Yesterday morning, Jackson noticed the décor above his bed –
He was excited that there was a dinosaur(!!) … and then he said:
“There are letters! – there’s a R… and a O… and a A… and another R!”
My jaw dropped open. I looked at his Grammy.. she seemed to be surprised as well. I thought maybe they had been practicing with letters recently or something…. I don’t know where he’s picked it up from! He hasn’t watched Sesame Street in ages, and his other favorite shows (Dora the Explorer, Thomas the Train, and Curious George) don’t seem to focus on letter recognition much at all.
And I didn’t think it was time to pull out the ABC flashcard drills, so I haven’t really focused on identifying individual letters either. It’s a long way from the days late last year when he would refer to every letter as either “E” or “M.” :)
So I had to know which letters he really did know…. so I wrote ‘em up on his art easel (fabulous IKEA score by the way) and quizzed him.
Ummmm…. he’s got 11 down. A, B, E, J, L, M, N, O, P, R, and Y. Almost half the alphabet!
So naturally the next logical step is for him to take over managing our finances. Just sayin’. I mean, he’s gotta have some math dork skills in that DNA somewhere…..






That is wonderful! It is amazing how they learn without even trying. We have kids who start at our preschool (four year olds) who don't know ANY letters (which always makes me wonder what the HECK is wrong with their parents??!? turn on some PBS kids for crying out loud and they'll at least pick up THREE letters!) We also have kids even at this point in the year who probably only know around 11 letters.
ReplyDeleteso all that to say yes, objectively he is a genius :)
Wow! I'm impressed!!! That is one smart kiddo!
ReplyDeleteSlave to the 4.0! ;)
ReplyDelete