Getting organized and decorated in the new house has been a very slow moving process. (yes, there are still boxes scattered among the rooms; don’t judge!) Especially since much of my furniture and decor doesn’t really work in the new rooms, and I was somewhat motivated to find a new look any way.
My bedroom is much smaller than before, so I’ve been finding smaller scale pieces and trying to arrange things to try to compensate. It’s been fun, and I’m almost done putting it all together! Another obstacle to overcome is related to shelf space – my former house had tons of built-ins, so I’m lacking spaces to store books and display frames and vases. So I currently have something in the vicinity of no less than 15 vases and 20 tabletop frames to find spaces for. I’m sure I will be having some vase and frame specials at the upcoming fall yard sale.
I took the opportunity to transition Jackson’s room from baby to growin’-on-up-big-boy style, and I am happy to report that it is complete! I’m super excited about how it looks! I kept the wall paint the same color, a light neutral gray, and he’s still sleeping in the crib as a toddler bed. The glider still remains as well, but it’s probably soon to go, since he prefers to do goodnight reading in his bed, and it will open up more space in the room. Of course, his dresser and night stand are still here, and will hopefully last throughout all of his childhood years.
Some of the home improvement items that caused the most pain were replacing the (hideous baseball themed) ceiling fan (thanks to Mr. Mann for immense patience with installing the misnomer “5 minute” fan!). The homeplate left an impression on the ceiling (blech!), but it’s not very noticeably with the fan running, and I’m hoping to sand it smoother at some point as well. Another improvement that caused serious frustration was replacing the curtain rods (white football; ick!) with simple, classic brushed nickel ones…removing the old ones was frought with battling stripped screws and installing didn’t work without a for-real drill (which someone surprised me with later as an early birthday present!).
At any rate, (apologies for the lack of brevity…) it’s all organized, decorated, and ready to enjoy some childhood fun for my little guy. And I love it! Without further ado – pictures!!
Looking into the room through the doorway
His bed and books nearby to encourage reading! And I’m still in love with the ROAR above his bed :) No regrets on the Pottery Barn Kids game-time decision of switching it up from his name to a fun dinosaur noise!
Corner of the room by the closet. Getting rid of the glider should open up the space for more maybe a small chair for him or some other fun toy.
Looking toward the door from his bed. I love that I can leave his easel set up for encouragement of spontaneous artistic creativity. He loves to draw with the crayons, and put all kinds of truck stickers up.
I ::heart:: organization. This cube shelf from Target totally matches his existing furniture (which looks closer to cherry even though it’s officially Pottery Barn Kids espresso), and keeps the toys contained so amazingly. Oh, and I am still absolutely in love with the simple dinosaur framed prints that I totally printed off the computer on cardstock and framed up with basic Target frames!
Completion to the room! Good riddance bizarre low-lighted baseball fan.
I feel like such a freak-o for how giddy this all makes me, but I am totally happy at the progress this weekend, and feeling some sense of satisfaction that I can say one of the rooms is complete! Hopefully the bedroom and kitchen (save for the ugly oak cabinets that I currently don’t have the funds to re-finish…) are coming up soon!






No comments:
Post a Comment