I’m quite behind on my Jacksonisms update, so it’s very past due! Hopefully I can gather all the musings that are jotted in emails to myself, scribbled on scrap paper, and just merely in my head! (obviously, I don’t have a solid system! heehee)
Monster Trucks
Of late, Jackson has become obsessed with monster trucks. I’m not sure how it all began, but it definitely spiraled into “obsession” after spending chunks of time watching monster truck videos via YouTube on his Grammy’s and Dad’s iPads. Now he’s either watching clips or re-enacting scenes with his own cars and trucks. He’s also quite clever with finding items to act as stunt ramps! He’s known to dish out a hilarious “AWWWWWESOME!!” when someone shows him a cool trick as well.
Kissing Hands to ourselves
We have a cute book that we read every now and then, The Kissing Hand, about a young raccoon scared to go to school; he and his mom end up comforting each other with kisses they keep in the palm of their hands so they can remember each other throughout their absence. I have done the kissing hand with Jackson occasionally, but recently I did it, and when I asked him over the phone while he was away for the night, whether he still had my kiss, he informed me that no, he actually had his own kiss, and he had given me mine back. I tried to convince him otherwise, but he insisted, “I’ll keep mine, and you keep yours.”
Fog
Jackson really surprises me with his vocabulary and breadth of knowledge at times. One day in the car, he (unprompted) told me that “fog is a cloud that forms a lot of water in the air.” He definitely has a natural curiosity with science and nature – he is often asking questions about how plants/trees grow, the moon and planets, dirt and rocks, weather, and other similar topics. I hope I’m fostering his inner geek appropriately! :)
Odd Reflections
Jackson and I have started sharing “reflections” at bedtime, and since he’s accustomed to praying at preschool, his are usually directed as thanking God for the people and things in his life. It’s quite adorable, and often very sweet, but there are occasionally some oddball things thrown into his thankful mix. He usually starts out mentioning Mommy & Daddy, then whatever toy he’s holding, usually some more toys, and then it can sometimes wander… I had to laugh out loud one time when it went to “…and thank you God for the toilet at school…” Another one I had to chuckle at, was an evening after he had some behavior issues, and I took away some toys permanently that we mentioned might go to another little boy who doesn’t have many things to play with. That night he threw in “…Thank you God for my toys…and the toys I didn’t clean up that are going to the other little boy…”
Mommies are good for lots of things!
One evening, while watching TV, Jackson was sitting on my lap. He snuggled up to me and said “You make a good chair. You make a good Mommy, too.”
Stuttering with excitement
Jackson has typically been ahead of the game with language and vocabulary, but one of the common traits of preschoolers’ speech can be a bit of stuttering. It’s absolutely adorable. He doesn’t stutter on consonants or sounds, but every now and then, on words on phrases, and you can tell it’s more of a result of being utterly excited or hyped up. Today his question went something like this: “Mommy, is it, is, is, ummm, is it, um, is um, is it, ummmm (looking around), um, is it ummm, is …..” I don’t even remember what the actual question ended up being. But I did sit there with a deep smile on my face, and felt content and happy. What an adorable thing… to be so excited and fired up with thoughts and ideas, that you can’t even get the words out fast enough! :)






No comments:
Post a Comment