Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holiday Cooking & Baking

I’m not particularly fond of cooking… dinner is a chore and I definitely stick with quick, easy meals.  But for some reason, I do enjoy cooking for holidays and events – everything from the big, traditional dinners to Paula Deen bring-on-the-butter baking.  I had so much fun making all kinds of holiday treats this Christmas!  And even though I try to use healthier alternatives for ingredients – reduced-sugar and lower-fat – I still made myself a bit sick eating so much of the rich foods.  Yumm.  Love. :)

So many of the other blogs I read have posts on cooking and step-by-step.  I decided it would be fun to photo-journal my kitchen creations. :)

Holiday Party Mix
I’ve been making this stuff forever, but not for the past few years.  I decided to go for it again, and make some up to give out to coworkers as a little Christmas treat.  Click for the recipe.


The ingredients


The caramel coating looks like a kooky science experiment while cooking :)


Time to get my upper body workout.  You have to *work it* to stir this stuff and try to get an even coating.  Stirring every 15 minutes and 2 batches later… achy times.


After it cools, you mix in chocolatey festive goodness.


Bag it up, slap a label…  cute + yumm. 

I took J uptown to my office and we handed out the goodies to coworkers…along with riding elevators and looking down at the big city from the CEO corner office – he LOVED it. :)

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
I saw this recipe in a magazine, and it was lust at first sight --- “I MUST have you” ran through my mind, many, many times. 


Ingredients  --- I did substitute less costly Nestle mint+chocolate chips for the crème de menthe stuff.


Mixin’ it all up.  Yum.


Ready for the oven!


Delish defined.  I think these take the prize for my favorite this year!

Pretzel Turtles
I always make this recipe at Christmas – usually get rave reviews and people are always surprised at how easily they are made!


Easiest ingredient list ever – pretzels, rolos, pecans.  That’s IT.


Hardest part?  Unwrapping rolos.  All lined up and ready to get melty!


A few minutes in the oven, and then all you do is squish a pecan on top!  Then try to be patient and wait to enjoy cooled salty/sweet/chocolatey/caramel-gooey/nutty bliss.

 

To be continued…. (y’all, I’m just getting’ started!)…

No comments:

Post a Comment