Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holiday Baking & Cooking - continued

On to more goodies….

Caramel Shortbread Squares
Another sweet treat, this is one I’ve made before, but not recently.  Here’s the recipe.


Ingredients – sugar & butter for days!


Mixin’ up the shortbread crust.  yum.


Cookin’ up layer # 2 – caramel!!  Although I don’t think the splenda brown sugar blend worked too well…some of the brown sugar seemed to get clumpy.  Taste ok, but looked wonky.


I screwed up!  Ruined the chocolate melting it in the microwave!  First time I've ever done that… and of course, I didn’t have any extra on hand… so off to the grocery store on Christmas Eve!  Luckily, this was the only culinary mishap of Holiday Cookathon 2010.


That’s better…. 3 layers of sweet, rich yummy goodness.

Sausage Balls
Time for the savory stuff!  This recipe is official Paula Deen y’all, and supplied by my bestie, Amy, who can throw down in the kitchen somethin’ fierce too (as was evidenced by the Paula Deen french toast breakfast she served on my last visit). I make these every holiday season… and eat way too many.


Even though sweet Paula’s all “mix with your fingers!!!”  I decided to try out using my stand mixer.  Cause I was getting’ lazy at this point, and decided to experiment.  I was hoping to avoid the crumbly difficult-to-form typical issues.  I left the mixer on a low speed for a long time… maybe 5-10 minutes.  It was AWESOME.  Mixed perfectly, not crumbly, and super easy to break off pieces and make little round balls!  Score.


Ready to get bakin’!


Yummmmm  -- warm sausage-y carbaliscious goodness.

Seven Layer Taco Dip
I haven’t made this recipe **since college!!!** …. it was just as good as I remembered.


Ingredients … ready for layering deliciousness.


Even though it’s not a typical holiday dish…. look at how festive it is with the red and green veggies!


… and then I layered it up even more!  delish to the tenth degree.

… and that pretty  much concludes the crazy holiday cookin’.  Now time to pack away the stand mixer and resume my normal (lackluster) cooking tendencies until next holiday season :)

No comments:

Post a Comment