Giving Jackson an iPhone for Christmas has continued to prove to be an excellent idea :) It has come in handy in so many different ways – it has definitely become a replacement for the travel DVD player (AND was cheaper)!
I have used Handbrake (free software!) to convert a couple of our movies to iPhone format, and loaded ‘em up in iTunes. With Cars and Toy Story ready to go on the phone, we were ready for our first trial run on a trip to Atlanta. I researched a bit to try to find the best option for securing the phone in the car, and stumbled on a suggestion to just wedge it between the headrest and seat back (as long as you have a rubber-ish case to create some grip). It worked genius! I was skeptical that it might shift or fall from driving bumps, but it stayed perfectly the entire ride.

The angle was perfect, the sound was good, and even though the screen was smaller, the quality of the picture seemed far superior to the old travel DVD player. I much preferred the ease of installing in the car, and no more temptation for J to kick the case that would stick out on the old player. It was also easy for me to grab it while driving, start up another movie, and wedge it back in place --- NEVER would happen with the portable DVD player, which would force me to have to make a pit stop. Another bonus…the iPhone ran fine off the battery for each 3 hour trip, so no annoying cords hanging everywhere, and no issues with the DVD resetting when I stop to get gas. The iPhone is 10 times better for in-car DVD entertainment than our old player. Hands down.
I have a cable to run the iPhone video/audio to a TV, but I tried it once at my mom’s, and it didn’t work there. I need to do some more research and trial/error on other TVs, because I’m hoping to get that set up as an option so it will be a does-it-all portable entertainment option :)
I love that we went from carrying all this:
- travel DVD player
- bulky case + car straps (+5-10 mins for me to battle securing it in car)
- ~2 DVDs
- car & AC charger cords
- TV connection cables
…to just this:
- J’s iPhone
- I already carry chargers when we travel for my iPhone!






No comments:
Post a Comment